Friday 14 February 2014

The ducks start to lay!

It took a few weeks longer than expected, and I was starting to get impatient and wonder if I had a set of duff ducks.  Thankfully on Wednesday this week one of the ducks started to lay.  My first ever home reared duck egg from ducks I had hatched.
I've said it before, but you can't beat that feeling, seeing the egg (not so white unfortunately as it had been layed in a pile of poo) and knowing the birds are doing what they do best and are comfortable and happy to start laying.
I've been toying with the idea of selling all the ducks, simply due to space now that I am no longer keeping birds on my plot.  The problem is, now they have started laying I'm even more reluctant.  I'm still going to sell one male and at least one female, so that I have a trio left.  But the whole bunch going is now highly unlikely.
I'm sure it's the time of year but I have not had many enquiries for the ducks or the silver lace Wyandotte I am trying to sell. So I have a plan, connected to the Spring fair at The Royal Welsh Show Ground in May. I will be entering the show with a couple of the ducks and my silver lace  on the Saturday, and there is usually a sale section. Lest hope there are lots of buyers.

This time last year I had the incubator fired up, but I'm delaying this year.  Firstly because of the poor weather and secondly because of space.  The plan is however, to hatch some more silver lace wyandottes to produce a male to go with my existing group. Then I will start hatching my own eggs.  I'm learning patience.  I'm also planning on hatching some quail when they start laying.  I have some nice colours, silver and white, so I'm hoping to create some interesting colours.




No comments:

Post a Comment