Friday 21 February 2014

Muddy run - chickens and ducks

I have been spending quite a lot of time recently in coffee shops. Whilst I would love to use independents, the choice is very limited for me, so I tend to avoid those that don't pay the correct tax and plump for coffee that is apparently "the best this side of Milan".

I find it relaxing and I seem to be able to waffle on and compose my entries for my blog despite the hustle and bustle, banging of coffee baskets, grinding of beans and occasional chink of china in the back ground.

I find it is one of only a few activities that truly relaxes the mind and body, giving you that moment to your self and opportunity to listen and observe others.
I get the same satisfaction out of the allotment and looking after the animals.  The daily morning dash outside in this recent torrential rain and, this morning, hail, has been made in lounge wear (pyjamas to you and me) and in full wet weather gear.  Not because of the rain, but just due to the sheer volume of mud in my garden at present.
My wellies are permenantly caked in mud, as are the waterproof trousers, jacket and the poor chickens and ducks.

So I have a plan.  Over the years I have used sand as a base in my run area with a good layer of wood chip on top.  It's works well for 3-4 hens.   Now the collection is bigger and includes a couple of ducks, I need a system that means the wood chip does not dissapear into the sand and mud, as the hens start to dig like Steve McQueen in the great escape.

This is the plan.
Level the ground, easier typed than done, but isnt it the same with everything.
Using a few slabs I will cover part of the run area, leaving a gap for some plastic guttering to run the length of the run.
Disinfect with stalosan f, then peg down a layer of plastic mesh that is manufactured and designed to stabilise grass.
Surround with raised beds or wooden boards (this will stop the wood chip being flicked all over the grass, when it grows back).
Top with wood chip.

Simple, but I'm sure it will be effective.
The plan with the guttering and slabs, is so that I can hose down the wood chip (or even better the rain will help) and wash any mess and poo into the gutter.
I have a sloping garden, so this may not work for everyone.  The gutter will run into a border with bushes, so they will benefit from the water and manure, and any excess can be shovelled out.

I concocted this plan whilst in a coffee shop, scribbling on a note pad, so who knows how it will go.  I will post photos of progress and the finished job.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment