Wednesday 19 February 2014

A busy month so far...

Give us a cwtch
February has been busy for me so far.  Lots of change and decisions to make.  The first being to move jobs for the first time in 13 years.  Secondly and in my opinion much more importantly, I realised that I can not keep the ducks in the environment they deserve in my back garden.  I love their characters and the early morning quacking as that charge out of the house like the start of the wacky races.
Their eggs are a lot smaller than I expected, but then that could just be age and I genuinely love their markings, on both the ducks and the drakes.  
Sadly they must go. I had planned to keep them on my plot, but the theft of all my chickens, put paid to that.  On the other hand, I will be hatching quail and hopefully Silverlace wyandottes going forward.

On top of all the decisions, I have been busy writing and reviewing contributions for some fantastic magazines, Country Smallholding, Home Farmer and Practical goats, sheep and alpacas.


I'm hoping to get some links to the articles on line soon and will post them on the blog.

On top of that, I am brewing banana beer and orange wine.  Both smell amazing and I will post the recipes on the blog soon, although if you buy the Feb edition of Home Farmer you will fine the Pineapple wine recipe I will be starting towards the end of this month.


I'm also looking forward to receiving some pork soon from Hillside Freerange to make some of my own sausages and cure some more of my own bacon and ham.  I have never made my own sausage, but want to give it a go with some basic equipment before taking the plunge and signing up to a day course.

All in all, I guess I sound like an alcoholic writing foodie.  
Happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment