Monday 25 March 2013

Vandalism to chickens on the allotment

My Gold Lace Wyandottes
Having been given permission to keep some chickens on my allotment plot I have been researching the potential threats to them.


The Fox is an obvious one but one issue that still needs to be considered and addressed is the security of the chickens from theft or even vandalism.



I read a news story recently from back in January that reported 40 chickens and a turkey were killed on an allotment in the Northamptonshire region.  Police said that they were not killed by an animal. How anyone can do this is beyond me.



This is a significant concern to me being so far from my plot, and there is not necessarily a straightforward answer.

Any poultry or animal could be at risk, even if it is kept on land adjacent to your home.

So how do you reduce the risks?


My allotment plot is a corner plot with the front facing a main road and one site flanked by a public footpath.  Lucky in some ways with the hedges and overgrowth that line two sides but potential risks with the road and footpath.  

The approach I am taking is a subtle introduction of the runs and chickens, not quite camouflage gear, but positioning so that boundaries and hedges are utilised to obscure the view as much as possible from the main road.  

I will also ensure that the hedges are kept at a reasonable height and are kept to shelter and restrict views into the plot. 

I'm sure the tech savvy out there would suggest CCTV web camera to monitor the chickens, however there is a cost connected to this and some reasonable computer knowledge, so my alternative is getting to know my neighbours.  I have given them my contact details such as email and mobile number.  I am in a good position here, I have an allotment neighbour who is retired and appears to live and sleep at his allotment.  He is happy to keep an eye out and report any suspicious activity.




Of course keeping hens at the allotment will mean I will be visiting daily at the minimum.  I will try visiting at different times of the day rather than say 8am everyday. 

This will hopefully deter unwanted attention.




Finally, I can't keep a guard dog on the allotment, but I could invest in the next best thing to live with my hens - geese!  A couple of geese would act as a warning alarm.  
Yes I will need to consider if there are houses in the area and it's likely I will not hear them, but anyone walking onto the plot will be startled and unwanted visitors will hopefully make a b-line for the nearest gate.












Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment