Monday 18 March 2013

Time is flying

Well, time flies when your having fun, that's for sure. We're in the middle of March, my chicks are 2 weeks old feathering up nicely and growing by the day. The quail have regained all feathers and are looking really healthy. My broad beans sown on 17 February are looking great and I have just sown Tomatoes and Peas. It's getting lighter too, at 6pm tonight it was still light, so I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the lighter nights down at the allotment soon to start all the jobs I have been saying I need to do over the past month.

The jobs are stacking up unfortunately, its not just my asparagus bed that needs fertiliser and compost (which should have been completed months ago) or the rhubarb that needs feeding or the ground that needs digging over, but it's the planned chicken enclosure that I last worked on in February that needs attention.

In ten days my next batch of chicks should hatch, 2 cream legbar and 2 vorwork. It has not been the smoothest of incubation periods, with fluctuating humidity, the incubator running out of water and dropping to 10% whilst I was away at a lambing course at Kate's country school in Abergavenny and water droplets forming in the roof of the incubator (high humidity).

Nonetheless in 10 days I will have more chicks to add to the 6 already camping out in the spare bedroom.

Being honest, it's unlikely I will stop there, I would love some ducks. I just have to decide if I want to hatch them or buy a pair or trio for breeding.



I also want to buy a few turkeys this year to raise for Christmas, but without a secure enclosure this is going to be impossible to achieve.


So with the planned expansion I really need to crack on with the enclosure.
The Easter break will hopefully bring some dry weather so that I can camp out for a day or two at the allotment and really gets on top of the jobs.

Jumping ahead of myself here but I have finally found the breed of sheep I would keep.

This little lady below gave me the inspiration and thanks to Twitter friends I managed to establish she was a Balwen Welsh Mountain cross.  So its the Balwen for me with their white socks and white head! :-) If I ever managed to buy or rent land!






Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment