Friday 30 November 2012

Wyandotte Chicks, dogs, and food?!!!!

Well the cold snap is hear and it's been -2 to -3 degrees C over night!
I woke to a thick frost all over the car, and to bring me a little happiness a reasonable frost on the grass.  So the walk to the girls and chicks this morning was as though I were walking over crisps rather than the more recent walking through treacle.


I find it strange that Custard the Light Sussex has decided this is a good time to go into full moult.  She must be freezing!  It does not make sense to me.  

We used to have a German Shepherd and she would moult at sensible times to bring in winter and then summer coats.  If dogs can do it, why not the chickens?  Someone with more knowledge will no doubt be able to answer that! 

I think that the covered run will be helping the chicks, Pinky and Perky and the girls, Treacle, Pudding and Custard.  It probably keeps the worst of the frost off their run area.  It certainly helps keep the drinkers from freezing at -2 to -3 but how long that will last for I am unsure.

Many people talk about insulating their hen houses in winter.  Perhaps this is necessary in the very cold parts of the country or over in America where there are sever cold snaps.  But in sunny (ha ha) Wales half way up the Garth Mountain (famous for the Hugh Grant Film, The Englishman who went up a hill but came down a mountain and for Lucy Jones off Xfactor) I do not find it necessary.
Plus I would like to think not doing this helps control some of the red mite!

I do tend to add more wood shavings in winter to help a little with insulation.  I have used shredded paper as well but found this was a little messy and needed cleaning out more regularly.


I mentioned the chicks earlier.  They seem happing whatever the weather.  They are getting quite flighty.  But I suspect this is the Bantam in them and something I will have to get used to.

They are looking very pretty with their markings now.  I am starting to convince myself they are hens, but I know this is not a good idea having gone through it with Rodney the Rooster earlier this year, who was originally Rosie!!

I have been thinking about names for the chicks.  Pinky and Perkey were only temporary names.  I like the idea of sticking with food.  So if they are both hens I will see if I can get board approval (from my 3 boys) to call the Apple and Blackberry.
Quite cool, hip and now with all the celeb children names. :-)



Thanks for reading!








No comments:

Post a Comment