Saturday 3 November 2012

Thinking ahead

I am trying to think ahead at the moment.  It's tricky, a little bit like multi tasking.  :-( 

Whilst Pinky and Perky are only small now, they are going to grow fast, all be it only to bantam size.  The broody coop is fine, but I am concerned that they will run out of space quickly.
So probably to Rachel's horror I am looking at some cheep,................sorry, that should be cheap, coops to house them in.

Maran Hen - Photo from Omlet.co.uk


Rhode Island Red young Cockerel











I had full intentions of integrating the bantams with my other hens, Custard a hybrid Sussex and Pudding a Bluebelle which is a cross between a maran and rhode island red.

I still may do that, but my ultimate aim would be to breed Wyandottes.  Problem is, a cockerel in a 1970's housing estate!


My allotment
 So I'm back to considering my allotment, approximately 3 miles away, as an alternative.
There is already heras fencing left there from the previous occupier who kept chickens.  So that saves some money and can make a good size enclosure secure as it can be from foxes.  
The Allotment association's reaction to chickens on the allotment was "luke warm" but it was not a flat No. They had issues previously with chickens escaping and the chairman being called on a Sunday afternoon to sort it out.  I'm confident this will not be an issue.
If you have had your allotment association refuse or accept chickens, can you drop me a note.  I would love to hear what issues you faced and if you were successful winning them over.

Mine has quoted the following issues.
1.  Escaping chickens eating other tenants produce.
2.  Smell
3.  Animal welfare issues with previous keepers
4. Materials being left on site when tenants leave such as heras fencing.

I will have to wait and see.  With only 2 Wyandotte chickens I will need more, a ratio of 3 or 4 hens to a cockerel is good.  Sourcing the Gold lace Wyandottes Bantams is proving difficult.  So I may need to hatch my own eggs purchased from another source!

Thanks for reading and more ramblings soon!



2 comments:

  1. Luckily our site is privately run, some plot holders, not me yet, have asked to keep Chickens on their plots without any objection. But yes Fox proofing is essential as our Allotment site is very rural & Foxes are around :(

    ReplyDelete