Monday 29 October 2012

Wyandotte Chicks update and Run Cleaning

Is it me or can hens get really grumpy?  Do they wake up one morning and get out the wrong side of the nest?  Or is it that I somehow upset them?  I am male after all!  Men have a unique ability in this area.

I checked on Treacle and chicks this morning.  All doing well.  They are now 9 days old but still look tiny!


They managed to knock the feeder over so I opened up the door to the run and tried to move the food.
  Treacle attacked like a crazed Tasmanian devil.....................well not quite, but she gave me a really good peck on the hand and drew blood.

Anyway I will live.


I think it is time for Custard and Pudding to take the lime light for 5 minutes. 



I have taken the opportunity whilst there has been a break in the weather to clean my main coop run.

I mentioned in previous posts the process I go through once or twice a year.  However I thought I would take a couple of photos.



I have to keep my hens in a fixed area due to my garden and having 3 young boys (They do get to run around the garden when cleaning out and more so in winter).  So to ensure any worms, smells and bacteria is kept to a minimum I clean the run and disinfect with Stalosan F.  I then top up with sand, this time I used play sand and then added a layer of woodchip, not bark.

Below are the before and after photos.

Before



If you are keeping chickens in your garden I would highly recommend Stalosan F.  Its a disinfectant and great at reducing smells.  It also can kill of any worms living in the soil.


I promise to risk life and limb and get a couple more photos of the chicks for the next entry! ;-)

Thank you for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment