Friday 12 October 2012

Mud Mud Mud in the Chicken Run Run Run

Mud Mud Mud in the Chicken Run Run Run!

What rotten weather.  I know we have had horrible weather most of the summer, in fact most of 2012, but it is usually this time of year I look at my chicken run and think, that needs a good clean and top up.

It took me ages to work out the best floor covering for my area.  It turns out that my street name, which is in Welsh, means boggy fields!  Well that is certainly true.

Sometimes I look at the chicken run and think it is more suitable for ducks with the puddles that gather.

I have to keep my chickens contained to a section of garden as I would not want my young boys treading in chicken poop.  In fact I would not put it past the youngest to go further than just treading.  He likes experimenting shall we say and has a very good throw for his age.

Anyway I clean the run regularly, which to be honest is quite a smelly job.  At least once a year, usually twice, I clean the run, cover with Stalosan F disinfectant (brilliant product – can be used for hens, pigs etc) and then top up where the chickens have been digging and the rest of the run with sand.  Usually a soft sand, but I never use sharp sand as I think this could cause issues with the chickens feet and eventually start an infection.
After the sand I top up with woodchip.  Not bark as this rots down and can go mouldy.  That’s the last thing you want.

It seems to work, and you can then keep on top of the run by raking over each week the surface covering with disinfectant.

To be honest, I would much rather have them properly free ranging on grass but for the time being this is a good alternative and they do get a run on the grass when I am cleaning out or in the middle of winter when I know the boys are not playing outside.

What lucky chickens!

Thanks for reading

Cluck Cluck

No comments:

Post a Comment