Friday 11 April 2014

New land - deal done!

Today I signed my tenancy agreement that starts 1st May allowing me to keep chickens, ducks and turkeys.  I was starting to think I would never ever type the words.   It's been a long time coming but with a little compromise I finally managed to find some.
Sheer good luck and timing has resulted in me being able to buy an old chicken ark from a couple moving house down in Barry.  Twenty pounds was the agreed price. An absolute bargain and perfect for a breeding trio of bantams.
I admit thereis work to do to the ark but structurally it is sound.  I will be thoroughly cleaning the coop to make sure there are no red mite and other little critters, I may even paint the inside if the coop for good measure. Ideally I need a good enclosure to keep the foxes out. I'm thinking of using the herace fencing I have from the allotment, but transporting it is a big problem being 3 meters long and 2 meters tall. The other option is to buy a new enclosure like the one gardenlife.biz sell.  A significant cost which I want to avoid if I can.
It's not just Mr Fox that I am planning to keep out, but the two legged predator as well.  Back in September 2013 I have 13 pure breed hens stolen from my allotment in a neighbouring village. This time I am determined to make it more difficult.
The field is no close to a main road and has a well used path running through it, used regularly by dog walkers, so I am hoping activity and passers by will deter any thieves along with the secluded nature of the plot.  I'm going to use a padlock on the chicken ark initially with a built in alarm.  Any movement on the lock and the alarm will go off.

Yes, this is a risk, there is always a risk, but the alternative is to stop keeping chickens and breeding.  Something that would be particularly difficult for m to accept.  Especially since I have been going to poultry shows and had great fun and success at the Welsh national in January with my Wyandotte bantams.





No comments:

Post a Comment