Sunday 20 April 2014

Day four after hatching

Day four after hatching is going well.  The sablepoot chicks seem strong an healthy.........for now.  They say sheep have a habit of just dropping dead when they feel like it.  The same could be said for chicks.
I have done all I can for them since their arrival, with chick crumb and water available and newspaper being changed daily to prevent the spread if any disease.
I had set six eggs from South Yeo Farm in Devon in the incubator.  Five were fertile at day seven.  The the candeling photo below.  Sadly, just because they are fertile does not mean they will hatch successfully, and after three of the poots had arrived into the big wide world, I candled the other two and it was clear that once had stopped developing around day ten or twelve and the other day fifteen or sixteen.  These are guesstimates, based on the size of the air sack in the egg and the development of the embryo.
Still, three is better than none and I am already making a note and trying to guess how many male and female I have.







No comments:

Post a Comment