Thursday 27 March 2014

First hatching 2014

My first hatching eggs of the year arrived a week ago today. Silverlace Wyandottes are on order but it is the Sablepoot Lemon Milliefluer that have turned my head this time.  A little unexpected in a way, but I did find I was being drawn to them at the poultry shows.
One of the main reasons I have chosen them is their size.  I don't have a great deal of space so large rare breeds like an Ixworth are out of the question for now.  I also tend to find the eggs from bantams have a lot more flavour.  They are perfect little hard boiled snack or for use in a creamy omelet.
Of course the looks of the breed have a great deal to do with it as well.  They are not a large breed, a true bantam, and so a dual purpose bird they are not.  My breeding efforts are still targeted at the wyandottes, so I guess this is more of a nice to have.
I'm off to candle the eggs tonight so fingers crossed I have a few viable eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment