Saturday 15 March 2014

A couple of hours on the plot

Having completely rebuilt and refurbished the chicken run in the back garden it was about time I visited the allotment plot.  I took the opportunity today and made some headway.
I have decided to try the no-dig method of growing potatoes.  Lazy I know, but got to be worth a try.

Having cleared the plot of weeds, I spread a layer of chicken manure and home made compost on top, then covered with thick black pond liner.  I pegged the pond liner down and then cut slits in the liner, used a trowel to loosen the soil and planted the potato, that had been sitting on my window sill for the past 4 weeks, just underneath the soil.
There is no need to plant any deeper as the liner on top will protect the potatoes that grow from going green.  It also means I don't need to weed between the rows. Like I said earlier - lazy gardening.  Let's hope it works.
There is also no need to earth up as the liner will do this for you.  If it all works, there will be even less work to dig the potatoes up.  I will just need to lift a section of the liner, and put up the potatoes, maybe using a small hand fork, but significantly less effort that I usually put in.  Like I say, I have fingers crossed.
I do have a couple of concerns, and that is ensuring the plants get enough moisture and making sure the top growth gets through the little holes I have made.
Not one to put all my eggs I one basket (chickens get in everywhere with me), I am only trying this method with the first early potatoes.  Casablanca is the variety and is supposed to have good disease resistance.
My second early potatoes, Charlotte, will be planted using my usual method, digging a trench, scattering a few chicken manure pellets or grow more fertiliser, covering and then earthing up when needed.

Whilst there today I also weeded the asparagus bed and covered it with a layer of compost and manure.  This is the second year that have been in the ground, so I am looking forward to taking a slightly bigger crop this year.  The few spears we tried last year were outstanding.  I might just try dipping them in a soft boiled or poached egg.

I was please to see the rhubarb was growing, although in comparison to my neighbours plants they doo look quite pathetic.  Hopefully the topping of compost and manure will help them thrive.


No comments:

Post a Comment