Saturday 14 September 2013

What's up Duck!

Lucky the crested legbar
It's always useful to have something to concentrate or focus on when things go wrong. Settling the 10 week old birds back in to my garden at home and trying to integrate Lucky, the crested legbar hen that was left behind at the allotment has helped.

I have split the run at home on a temporary basis so that lucky has a small run and can see custard and the gang.  Her home during the day is a plastic box, which she seems to have taken to quite well, laying a lovely blue egg almost every day.

At night, she has settled onto a lovely routine, perching on the plastic box and then letting me pick her up, carry her to the hen house and pop her on a perch with the other hens.

There is no fuss or bullying as they are all rather dopey at night. Every morning I then have to collect her from the perch and carry her to her run.  Cute in a way but not something I fancy carrying on forever.  I just hope the integration will work.

The other distraction is Treacle the broody Speckeldy hen sat of 6 duck eggs.  Time seems to have flown by, as we are now on day 23 of 28.  I'm excited to see ducklings being raised by a hen, but I am a little nervous, as my lack of secure land is still an issue, and I fear that I will not find any in or near by my village.


Going forward the main project is finding land anyway possible, in the mean time, the back garden is turning into a poultry palace.

Thanks for reading



No comments:

Post a Comment