Friday 27 September 2013

Ducks are the right choice

I can honestly say ducklings are super cute and very entertaining.  I think they may even beat chicken and quail chicks on entertainment.  Mix that with a foster hen for a mum and it's fascinating.
I am surprised how big they are when born and at only one week old they feel very solid to hold in comparison to a chick.  I can already feel there down is very different, it feels almost like wire wool to touch.  At a day old they were happy away from mum, say in the corner of the run watching as she filled her boots with feed and water after 28 long days sitting on the eggs.

The ducks must be born with built in navigation.  They are like sheep or i guess ducks (they are ducks i know) from day one, where one goes the other follow, two by two as if connected by invisible twine.



I am very pleased I chose Welsh Harlequin ducks, they are beautiful birds.  I can not wait for the eggs to start flowing early next year.  I am however still facing the usual problem of space.  The recent searches and enquiries for land have not been successful.  The only land for sale within 5 miles is currently prices at over £10k per acre.

 
Well out of my price range sadly.  It seems as always, I have managed to find a hobby or interest (obsession my wife would say) that is expensive and difficult to follow.  Mind you, isn't everything expensive these days?

I won't give up.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment