Friday 8 February 2013

Quail Photos

I thought I would take the opportunity to introduce my Quail.  They are the Japanese Common quail.  Great at laying up to 300 eggs per year given the right conditions.

They are lovely little things, they chirp quietly and the males have a lovely call.  It actually fills my back garden with some lovely bird calls adding to the wild birds already out there.

I had an unfortunate start and lost one female with a prolapse and egg bound issue.  We managed to remove the egg down the vets but there was nothing we could do.  I do however still have 10 healthy birds.
Considering the cold weather and their recently move, we have done quite well with 12 eggs so far.

I think the only way to get them laying more is to use a heat lamp to increase the temperature. I will think a little longer before doing this.

I am planning to have eggs to hatch and eggs for sale to eat as soon as production increases.  I have the boxes and have designed my own label to ensure I comply with regulations.  

I will write a little more a out what is required shortly but thought you may enjoy some of the photos I have managed to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment