Sunday 20 January 2013

Candling Eggs on day 11


Excitement, enthusiasm, anticipation!  Words that I would used to define how I felt when I received my hatching eggs through the post back on the 10th January.

There is something special and addictive about hatching chicks.  Sadly my hatch rates have never really been high.  My first attempt under Treacle my Speckledy hen resulted in just one chick hatching out of 3 eggs.

The second attempt in October 2012 resulted in two chicks hatching out of 6 eggs, again under Treacle!

My third hatch is in my new incubator. A Corti AF25 - the automatic turning model.
I set the eggs back on 9th January and candled as recommended on the 7th day.  Being relatively inexperienced at candling, I was happy to leave the eggs for a further few days before discarding any that are unlikely to hatch.

I candled the eggs again tonight the 20th January at 11 days and took photographs of each egg.  I think this may be a useful guide for anyone candling their own eggs.  Apparently you should not candle to often and for too long! So here goes with the photos!




One of my own chickens eggs - Not Fertile










First incubator egg - not looking too promising - I would say this is NOT fertile.









Second Egg - something defiantly going on in this one - good to leave   in the incubator.









Third egg - Not Fertile! :-(







I cant go on really, sad that only one other egg below seems to have something going on. 
2 out of 6 again!!




Hopefully the other fertile egg!








Lets hope the two do hatch and there are no complications.

Thanks for reading! 

2 comments:

  1. that means my chick is dead :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time trying to hatch. Your post is very helpful as I dont know whats going on with my eggs. Sadly, at day 14, all my eggs look like your photos of one and three. Guess its back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete