Thursday 27 December 2012

Merry Christmas - Hide and Beak

Pudding
Merry Christmas everyone.
I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas.

Hide and beak?  You will see what I mean shortly.

My hens have been getting a real treat with lots of free range time and corn treats in the garden.





So much time that I actually thought I had lost Pudding the other day.
We have a 6 foot fence all around our boundary, so I naturally think this is acceptable to keep chickens in and my neighbours should not have a unexpected visitor.  However Pudding is a particularly good "flyer" and I say flyer in the broadest sense.


Photo from richard-seaman.com
 Chickens tend to take off a little like a harrier jump jet.  Not necessarily with the same grace and effortless way the jet does, but they some how manage to get "airborne" for several seconds, before plummeting to earth like a giant water filled balloon!  The landing is similar to a water balloon hitting the floor as well.  Splat or Sploosh are quite good sound effects!

It was boxing day around 11am and Custard, Pudding, Treacle and the 2 chicks (currently Pinky and Perky) were having a good old explore of the garden.
I peered out of the window just to take the register, and check all were present and correct.
4 out of 5.  Pudding had gone AWOL.

Rather than running out into the garden and checking all sensible places, I decided she must have made her way over the fence, either into my neighbours garden or into our front garden.

I ran upstairs and peered into the neighbours gardens from the back bedroom window.  No sign at all.

I checked the front garden.  No sign.

Then I heard a gun shot!  Not good.

Now thinking rationally, who would want to shoot a domesticated chicken.  You could hardly mistake Pudding for a pheasant!
I decided to don the waterproof trousers, coat and wellies on and venture into the mud and the driving rain!

I spent 10 minutes looking for her.  The last place I had not checked was the nest box................now normally this would be the first place I would check, but recently I installed a piece of wood on a hinge so I could block off the nest box in the evening as both pudding and custard like to sit in the nest box all night and make a right mess of it.

To let them out of the hen house I have to close off the nest box.  Not ideal, but not a major problem.  I thought!
I ignored the nest box, because I thought it was inaccessible.
How wrong I was. 

I can only guess that she managed to open the next box by nudging the door open with her beak and head, similar to a dog when they open doors!
There she was, sitting in the nest box, next to a lovely warm egg!

So for 30 minutes I had been playing hide and seek with a chicken, and she was cuddled up in her nest box the whole time!

Moral of the story, check the most obvious places first, even if they are not necessarily the obvious place at the time!  That makes no sense!!!!!!!!!!!  I know!

Thank you for reading, I hope you had a fantastic Christmas and that you have great fun seeing in the New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment