Tuesday 27 May 2014

A busy bank holiday with Chickens


Eight months ago I lost all of my breeding stock.  Not a four legged predator but two legged opportunists.  It has taken all that time to regroup, find more land and set up an enclosure.  But I am finally there.  Today I all but finished a basic enclosure having transported the security fencing from the old plot to the new one on Bank Holiday Monday.  I could not have done it without Rachel.

As I type, I have just moved the three, 6 week old booted bantams onto some grass for the first time, I have three Ixworth chicks at 4 days old under a broody and in the incubator, I have two fertile silver lace Wyandotte eggs (bantam) one pipping.  Things are finally looking up on the poultry front so my fingers are firmly crossed.
For once I am firmly in control and this will be the end of my hatching for 2014.  Unless of course I get tempted by hatching my own quail eggs.

I only hope I have one male and one female In the Ixworth group, so that I can breed for my own purposes, and that both Wyandotte eggs hatch, with at least one male to go with my existing hen.

The ducks, whilst great fun are going.  We don't really eat enough duck eggs, and whilst I love the breed, they are not an animal I can keep whilst focusing on my chickens.  Fingers crossed I find a good home soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment