Tuesday 31 December 2013

Ducks, Rain and the Welsh Poultry Show

Merry Christmas and I hope you have a fantastic New Year tonight.

My ducks are characters and great entertainment.  I'm not sure I would want to be without them now. The problem is they destroy the back garden in a short space of time, especially the grass.  They do not scratch like chickens, but they have an amazing ability to dig over a period of time with their beak, especially around drinkers or water for bathing.

This recent spell of rain (monsoon type conditions at times here in Wales) has destroyed what was left of the grass.  The Chickens, ducks and quail all look very fed up, proof in the pudding is the lack of eggs, even the hybrids have shut up shop.
 
I knew when hatching ducks under broody hen Treacle, that I would have to move some on.  I am fortunate that there are only two males and three females, meaning I have the choice of keeping a pair or a trio.  But I am surprised at the noise the females can make, and the mud that they create.  On top of that, they seem to eat for two constantly.  They are also still very timid and nervous of any human approaching them.  They are 15 weeks old today so  I am interested to see if this changes when they get older and are less dependant on Treacle, who still insists on staking in the run with them.

Needless to say these ducks need space, and I am constantly looking for some land closer to home, not easy when 3.5 acres of grazing land is being sold locally for over £60,000.

I'm off to the Welsh National Poultry Show in Haverford west on 12th January 2014.  I'm taking my 1st and 3rd place Wyandottes to see how they look on a larger scale (some 1700 entries in previous years).

I will of course update the blog with results and the experience.
In the mean time, if I go a little quiet its probably because I am concentrating on some contributions for Home Farmer Magazine www.homefarmer.co.uk

Happy new Year and thanks for reading in 2013.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment