Wednesday 19 June 2013

If I stare at the incubator will they hatch quicker?!

My Silver Lave Wyandotte Hen and Cockerel
I'm at it again, without really planning that much either.  The problem is I can't resist, particularly the wyandottes and now the Lavender Araucana.

I have fired up the incubator again, all seems to be working well.  I'm gave the eggs 24 hours to settle after coming through the post.  Mark at Norfolk Bantams has kindly sorted me some eggs.  Last time I had 100% hatch rate.  So I am excited to see the results this time round.

I candelled the eggs on Sunday 16th June and there were 12 fertile eggs.  6 silver lace and 6 lavender Araucana.  I hope there is a good mixture of male and female in them.


Araucana cockerel 8 weeks
I currently have 3 male lavender Araucana from an earlier hatch, and 2 male and one hen silver lace from a previous hatch.  
This time I hope to be able to put a pair or trio together of both breeds.  Doing it this way, from hatching eggs, is a long process, but fun.  I'm certainly not going to be in a position to try and hatch any of my own eggs until next year.  Something to look forward to I guess.

My Croad Langshan Hen
So what now?  There is plenty to do.  I'm already planning another enclosure to take the extra chickens and then once I have reduced numbers sufficiently, it will be partially used for some ducks.  Welsh Harlequin I hope.  The other part, looking way ahead, maybe space for turkeys or more hens.


I still have one Silver Lave Wyandotte Cockerel for sale (Bantam) and in a few weeks the Lavender Bantam Araucana cockerels will be available too!

Thanks for reading and I will be back soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment