Wednesday 22 May 2013

Send your Hens to work!


Have you ever taken over a plot or a piece of land that is overgrown? 

I suspect most 
of us who have an allotment have been in this position.  Ifyou are considering taking on an allotment, it would be good practice spending a considerable amount of time clearing the plot, or a section if it is a large allotment, even though the urge to sow and plant will be practically unbearable.

When I took on my allotment in 2008 it was overgrown, covered in wood,
 plastic fencing and chicken wire.  
Due to the size of the plot I have tackled it in sections.
We all look for ways of cutting corners and often they don't work, however I have been discussing an alternative with my allotment neighbour recently.
An army of hard worker goats could be very useful. I'm sure they would make short work of all the weeds and brambles.  You are however unlikely to get permission from your council or allotment association to graze a goat on the land, and there is no way you could be 100% sure that they would not escape and munch their way through all the lovely produce being grown by your neighbours.  I can see the eviction notice now!

Chickens!  
You may not be permitted to keep chickens on your allotment permanently, but if I use my situation as an example. I have a significant area that needs clearing but do not have time to clear it at present.
I have 3 fully grown hens in my garden at home.  It is feasible to take the hens to the allotment when I visit for an hour or two.  A cat box or cardboard box with ventilation would do the trick.  They can be let loose on the over grown area, even fenced in if required with some cheap netting and bamboo canes.

They will scratch, clear the plot, eat any bugs and slugs
 and fertilise as they go!
Now
 this is not a quick solution, and you certainly need to ensure that it does not stress the hens and that you have approval.  But why not give it a go.



No comments:

Post a Comment