Wednesday 3 April 2013

Chicks Chicks and More Chicks

Sadly the Vorwerk chick did not make it.  He was still struggling to stand even with legs taped together to stop them spreading apart and my efforts to try and hand feed were causing him some distress.
After several hours and a deterioration in his condition I decided it was best to do the right thing.  It's not easy and the second time in as may hatches that I have had to do it.  That's part and parcel of hatching and raising chickens I guess.

On a brighter note, I have just returned form a local poultry breeder who had a few day old's he was selling.  I bought 3 to keep Nugget as I have decided to call her, company.  

One Cream Legbar (female), one Orpington and one French Wheaton Maran.  


Nugget
The Silver lace Wyandottes are doing very well outside, even in this chilly spell of weather.  They are 5 weeks old and whilst it is difficult to tell at this stage, I'm really hoping for one or two good examples for breeding.

The master plan in all of this is to create at least 2 breeding pairs of Wyandottes.  
I have more hatching eggs arriving in the next few days, 6 gold lace and 6 silver lace Wyandotte hatching eggs.

So I will mixing from the different hatched to hopefully create a couple of good breeding trios.  Lots of  fingers crossed and plenty of things that could and no doubt will go wrong, but it is an adventure.

What then? Well, the pan is to work on improving the breeding pen so I have some good quality Wyandottes.  Along the way I have no doubt there will be a few hens and cockerels sold and hopefully hatching eggs.

Photo from www.araucana.org.uk

I'm trying to concentrate on Wyandottes as I find they are a lovely docile breed and they enjoy being picked up (once you have managed to catch them that is) but I can't help but be drawn to trying new breeds.  This time I have gone for some lavender Araucana.  Blue egg layers and an interesting bird originating from Chile. 


Check out the breeding club website at www.araucana.org.uk

After this? Well ducks are on the agenda, in particular Welsh Harlequin and if possible some buff Orpington or silver appleyard.  That may however be some way down the line!

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment